Friday, April 3, 2009

12 Hours in a Car Will Do That To a Person

And when I say "do that" I mean make them want to never stop driving. Ever. Because it's this weird perfect freedom. Nothing hanging over my head. No place I have to be. No time I have to be there. Or back. It's my same ole Princess Anya ("Roman Holiday") syndrome. Wanderlust + time = best thing ever.

I can't get online with my computer tonight, so no pictures which REALLY sucks for you. I saw some amazing things today. There is seriously nothing like the redwoods of northern California. I was in awe most of the day. Then at one point I rounded like the millionth bend in a row (so many in fact that I thought I was going to get car sick despite being the driver) to face one of the most beautiful ocean views I've ever seen. Other times I drove alongside the Smith (?) river and marveled at the turquoise color usually reserved for fancy seas. I kept hoping to see some white water rafters but never did.

I did see elk. And like a billion things carved out of redwood. (The elk were real tho.) I also drove through a tree. Then an hour later I saw a "world famous" one that I could drive through. My experience had been cool enough tho that I didn't want to shun the first drive-thru tree into thinking it wasn't good enough...

The sheer size of these redwoods is crazy, and not just the height. Wait til you see the pic of me standing next to the trunk of one.

So I'm finally in Portland. And so far, gotta say, it's not letting me down. Reasons I already love Oregon:

1. it's crazy beautiful. like the same way the most beautiful thing you've ever seen is beautiful, but somehow better.
2. it's ILLEGAL to pump your own gas. this caused quite a bit of confusion at first, but now I'm like, what an awesome idea!
3. no sales tax.
4. it did rain on me a little bit coming up the 5 to Portland, but just enough to wash the dead bugs off my windshield and front bumper. done and done!

Tonight we headed to Andina, a Peruvian restaurant in the chic Pearl District *cough* home of Powells (the highly anticipated bookstore the size of a city block) *cough* and got some yummy tapas. And now it's bedtime because HELLO I woke up at 5h45 after a night out to drive 12 hours. BECAUSE I WANTED TO. Tomorrow it's brunch and the famous Saturday market and and and...whatever else I want. I've decided Powell's is something I should do alone. As I might cry and spend at least an entire day there.

Oh and so ever since I mentioned being interested in Portland as a city to live in, I've been warned about the weather and how it might adversely affect me. The forecast for tomorrow, Sun AND Mon?? Sunny and in the 70s. God's really loving me right now you guys.

Will get the pictures up asap...

2 comments:

  1. Do not forget about Voodoo doughnuts. Crazy, gooey goodness not far from the Saturday market. Can't wait to see the redwood pics. Keep enjoying the ride. Now I'll quote from the truckers' slang dictionary: "Keep your shiny side up and your rubber side down."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have family that live in Portland, Oregon and yet I have never been there!! I heard it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete