Friday, April 10, 2009

They Say That The Road Ain't No Place to Start a Family

I hit the road running this morning at 8a Seattle time...12 hours and nearly a thousand miles later, I checked into an inn in Billings, Montana. I forgot to check the speedometer before coming up to my room, but I think I've logged just about 2300 miles. That's a lot.

On my way here, I:

- saw this:
Snoqualmie Falls

- Turned up the contemporary Christian music when driving through the foggy wintry passes got nerve wracking...

- Drove through the county that produces the most potatoes...what might surprise you is that it's in Washington state.

- Ventured into Idaho for the first time. And fell in love. Seriously, the sight of Coeur d'Alene lake may be one of the most breathtaking stunning views I have ever seen. The entire drive on the 90 in Idaho is stunning, but this lake, and the backdrop...wow. The road is such that it doesn't lend itself to pulling over and taking pictures, but I thoroughly enjoyed this leg of the journey, and would (gasp!) consider vacationing in Idaho without much arm twisting. For serious. I was surprised too.

- Next up was Montana. And the transition into mountain standard time. And LOTS of mountains. And the continental divide. Which, horrifically and honestly I don't remember the significance of, but I guess it's worth mentioning because they put a little sign up about it.

- Got off the highway in Butte to gas up for the side journey to Yellowstone, only to consult my AAA guidebook and find out that the roads in the park are only open May - October...so I guess whenever I head back to Idaho or something, I will have to tack Yellowstone on to that trip. Fingers crossed that Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore are open for business.

So here I am in Billings, enjoying free wifi and a lil Sex and the City...wondering what tomorrow will bring.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fun journey. When I saw Snoqualimie Falls you couldn't see any of the rock face. It was flowing full with the Spring melt. Travel safe and see you when you get in St. Louis. Did you see the troll under the bridge in Fremont?

    ReplyDelete