Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day One

Miles traveled: about 400
Time it took: lil less than 6 hours
Stops: 2 (very unlike me, and I hope not indicative of the rest of the trip)

Breakfast. Barb. Brows. Perfect timing. No traffic. Grapevine. Ears popping. Bathroom break. Wind. Gusts of wind. Cars flipped over on the side of the road. There but for the grace of God go I. Are you there God? It's me Margaret. Orchards. Migrant workers. Stinky cows. Not as many as usual. Really stinky. More wind. Already to Oakland? Bridge. $4? Manageable traffic. Arrive. Coffee shop. Friends. Rex's. Pear Cider. Wii. Chocolate.

A pretty good first day. I've done this drive before (or ridden in the passenger seat) and it's one of the shorter driving days, so I'm glad it went well. Except for the bit about seeing the immediate aftermath of that car flipping over.

Here's a picture I took whilst driving through the grapevine...I should have taken a lot more because the sky was a vibrant blue and the mountains were beautiful but it was super windy and I was nervous about not holding onto the wheel. I did take this one because for an entire stretch these yellow flowers smothered the hills. Later on for a briefer stretch the hills were orange.


Chillin in San Francisco today. It's a beautiful sunny day (as it was yesterday) so I'm going to walk around and then later hang out with friends. Planning on leaving early (6a) tomorrow to make it into Portland at a relatively decent time tomorrow night. Will be driving through the redwoods via the Avenue of Giants. Pretty excited. I will also get to drive over the Golden Gate bridge for the first time. (I've walked across it before.) So it should be a good, albeit long, day of newness and adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Well the good news is that you get to travel through beautiful California! And you shouldn't be taking pictures while, silly girl!

    ReplyDelete