Sunday, April 5, 2009

If Portland Was a Guy, We'd Be Doing More Than Holding Hands

Seriously. You know when you have a crush on someone and you find out they like you back? That's pretty much the way I feel.

We had a super full day today. Again the whole me-using-my-own-computer-to-get-online conundrum exists so no pictures yet, but just imagine what these photo essays are going to look like!!

Started the day out with a homemade breakfast and a meeting with a kitchen contractor. Anyone who knows me knows I love kitchens, houses, and renovations, so even tho it seemed like a task a tourist wouldn't usually enjoy, I was watching, listening and asking questions like it was HGTV Live! or something.

Then we headed to the Saturday Market. It's hilarious how much I love markets like this when I think of all the years my mom used to drag us to them kicking and screaming. But I do. Largely because I love people watching and I love looking at random stuff. The windchimes made of spoons, the purses made from burlap coffee bags, the art...I'm into it. I bought a cool framed photo of the Rebulding Center. Specifically the part of it where tubs are lined up on the ground and toilets stacked on shelves. I was all "this is perfect for my bathroom!" Then I was all "I don't have a bathroom!" wunh. wunh.

We walked along the waterfront and then we decided to go see some more water. At the Multnomah Falls. Very majestic and they were flowing really well because of the snowmelt. The drive to the falls offered views of Mt Hood and Mt St Helens.

After that it was to 23rd street, a shopping district I'll visit more on Monday. Today we went so I could meet up with my friend Erin who lives in NYC but was here visiting her sister, nephew and brand new niece. Her nephew Harper demonstrated his mad yoga skills and kept us very entertained at the park. Seriously, if you haven't seen a 3 yo come up with his own yoga circuit (with real yoga poses!)...you should try it some time. Pretty awesome. We also had apps and beers at El Matador on 23rd, but we had to make an exit after they told us nobody under 21 was allowed in. We were informed less than politefully that Harper's presence could cost the establishment $5k.

Apparently today was like the first really good and sunny day of the year (yes this *kinda concerns me since it's April and all, but nobody's perfect)...anyway shorts - and more specifically THE WHITEST LEGS I'VE EVER SEEN were out in full force today. There were also a lot of pregnant girls walking around.

More than that tho, the thing you see the most here are Subaru Outbacks. They're everywhere. And have become the running joke. We saw two on one block tonight downtown.

Ok so tonight...we went to this poker tournament thing at the athletic club my hosts, Ryan and Elena are members of. Hilarity ensued when Elena made a guy laugh so hard he spit beer all over the place. And then we made a cameo at a bday party in Beaverton. Then we went back downtown to the Urban Farmer. A bar in a swanky new hotel. It's apparently the only 5 star hotel in Portland. I did not find the bathroom to be on par with a 5 star hotel.

Our goal was to make it to midnight despite our full day out. And we achieved our goal. Barely.

I know not having the pictures blows, but I'll post them in good chunks. Portland will have an album. Tomorrow is brunch, maybe wineries or bbq, then maybe Wicked...Who knows? But I bet it will be fun. And sunny.

PS The girls and I were talking this afternoon and we were like, what if I called the number one rated station here and was like, "Hey I rented an apt this wkend and put you guys down as my employer, so, can we make that official?" The bummer is that they (along with everyone else) just did a whole bunch of layoffs...but it might not hurt to reach out and touch someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment